Monday, January 18, 2010

Moonlit Mystery

One day in high school I was really bored in a class and ended up writing this short story. I tend to write a lot of this open-ended fantasy stuff. Enjoy! =]


The Moonlit Mystery
By Alyssa Bunzey

The wind swept up the waves, hoisting them on its back and lifting them up to the gray clouds above. The moon shone down in thin beams through the storm. They hit the water and bounced back up again, landing on our faces and everything else around us. The hurricane was picking up again. The rain stung as it pelted my face. Holy lightning struck from above and thunder rippled through the sea. The waves were frothing like rabid dogs, ripping and tearing at the boat beneath my feet. I shivered, both from the frozen air and from fear. The wind held the rain to my face, frozen in place. All of our faces were speckled, shining like diamonds through the night. We had to stick it out and make it through this storm. To some, it seemed impossible.
We had lasted many hours already, drifting further and further from shore. The east coast disappeared long ago and all I could see was miles upon miles of hungry ocean, trying to swallow us whole. I lifted my head from its burrow and looked out over the vicious white caps. I could see something moving on the water, about fifty feet out. I got up and staggered over to the edge of the boat. The water went calm. Everything around me slowed.
“Hey, Jim…my! Are yoo…u… o…kay…?” I could hear someone behind me saying. Then I was engulfed in silence.
The floating object stopped in its place. The clouds dispersed and the moon shone down upon it. It was a piece of a boat, and there was a body lying on top of it. It must have been my eyes, but I could have sworn I saw a ghostly figure staring back at me. It was gone in an instant.
The wind came rushing back and the waves foamed once again. The thunder seemed distant yet present. I felt a hand on my back and whipped around.
“Jimmy, Jimmy. Are you okay?” Richard asked with fear in his eyes.
“Uh…” I rubbed my throbbing forehead. “I don’t know…” I was trying to calm myself down. My heart was pounding against my chest.
Lightning struck the mast. The crack spread down and onto the deck, splitting the boat in two. It sank, and its five remaining passengers drowned. Thunder echoed in the distance.
I stood on the debris, moonlight shining through me. I saw a boat in the distance, about fifty feet out. I saw a man staring back at me, frozen with fear. I knew what would happen. I heard the deafening crack and thunder echoed in the distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment