Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Left Behind

I was looking back through my journal and came across this passage. I wrote it for my creative writing class in high school. The prompt was to describe a place in the school. I chose to write about one of the walkways that connected two of the buildings. Enjoy!

Left Behind

The cold air seeped through the cracks between wall and window. It filled the hallway, fogging up the glass that encased it. No heat, no warmth was present. My feet traced out their pattern upon the floor; perhaps someone else would walk this route today, perhaps tomorrow. Would the fog still be there on the windowpanes when he finally did? I didn't know. Stopping, I felt the window drawing me near, an invisible force pushing me forward. Could it be the wind? I didn't know. Everything around me faded as I brought my finger to the frozen glass. It was much colder than I expected, but I didn't mind. I traced my name in the fog, leaving part of myself behind, then left without a word.

2 comments: