Saturday, March 20, 2010

The Darkness (for current lack of a better title) - Chapter 5

They had spent nearly three hours in that dark storage room, chatting quietly about whatever came to mind. Mostly, they just sat in silence, both anxiously trying to think of what to do next.
“I only have two bars left on my cell phone.” Jake proclaimed after a few moments of silence.
Emma looked up from the edge of her shirt, which she had been nervously playing with for the last twenty minutes, and looked Jake in the eyes. “Well, mine is still off so we can use that once yours dies out.”
He stared at her, trying to think of how to phrase it. He watched her look back down at her shirt. “Emma?”
She looked up. “Yeah?”
“We can’t stay like this forever. We have to find out what’s going on.”
She looked back down. After several minutes she whispered, “I know.” Thoughts were constantly racing through her head. I hope my parents don’t try to leave the house and look for me. Maybe I should’ve stayed with them. What was that black figure that ran past? How long can we stay like this? What should we do?
“I’m going to go peek outside.” Jake proposed as he got up. He walked out of the room and towards the store window. Looking outside, he saw that the sun was going down and that the streets were completely vacant. He was searching for something, anything that would give him a clue as to what was going on. As his gaze moved backed towards the store across the street, a dark figure raced right in front of the window he was looking through. He was so startled he let out a yelp. Emma heard this and came rushing in.
“Jake! Jake! Are you okay?!”
He just stood there, his skin so white it almost glowed.
She started shaking him, “Jake! Jake!”
“It just went by this window,” he whispered. “What?”
“It just went by this window,” he repeated, slightly louder.
“No, no. I heard you. What did? What went by the window?”
He slowly turned to face her. “The figure.”
All she could do was stare out the window. She couldn’t think, she couldn’t speak, she couldn’t move. Only stare.
After a substantial amount of time had passed, Emma managed to say, “It’s not safe out there.”




I have some ideas as to where it's going to go from here but I'm not sure when I'll get time to continue writing.
“It just went by this window,” he whispered.

No comments:

Post a Comment